Complex “Surya Namaskar” – Salutation to the Sun (part 2)
Without synchronization between breathing and movement, exercise loses many of its beneficial properties.
3. Mantras: each of the twelve positions of Surya Namaskar corresponds to a special mantra. Mantras are combinations of syllables, sounds or phrases comprehended by ancient sages and widely known in India for millennia. These special sounds, through the power of their vibrations, exert a subtle, but powerful and profound effect on the mind and body. When performing Surya Namaskar, in each position aloud or silently, the corresponding mantra is pronounced. When Surya Namaskar is combined with proper breathing and these “bija” mantras (seed sounds), the mind and intellect receive a boost of energy. The bija mantras create vibration, and it is it that gives rise to energy. Mantras may or may not have a specific meaning, but the vibrations they create must affect every thread of a human being. Surya Namaskar mantras are sounds that cause a surge of energy. When they are repeated loudly, distinctly and with zeal, they bring to those who utter them the greatest possible benefits – speeding up the treatment of the disease, allowing one to gain stability of mind and self-control, or relieve tension that causes a modern lifestyle.
The following are bijas or seed mantras:
Full mantras – appeals to the Sun, one for each movement of the exercise, look as follows:
1. Om Temple of Mitraya Namah
2. Om Khrim Rawaye Namah
3. Om Chrum Surya Namah
4. Om Hraim Bhanave Namah
5. Om Temple Khagaya Namah
6. Om Temple Pushne Namah
7. Om Temple of Hiranyagarbhaya Namah
8. Om Khrim Marichay Namah
9. Om Chrum Adityaya Namah
10. Om Hraim Savitre Namah
11. Om Temple Arkaya Namah
12. Om Temple Bhaskaraya Namah
The following are the meanings of these sun names:
1. Mithra is a friend
2. Ravi – the radiance
3. Surya – beautiful light
4. Bhanu – a diamond
5. Khaga – one who moves through the sky
6. Pushan – the power giver
7. Hiranyagarbha – with the golden center
8. Marichi – Lord of the Dawn
9. Aditya – the son of Aditi
10. Savita – beneficent
11. Arch – energy
12. Bhaskara – leading to enlightenment
4. Awareness: This is an essential element of Surya Namaskar. Without awareness, many of the beneficial properties of exercise are reduced.
During the execution of the complex, thoughts should not “walk on their own.” Practice keeping your attention here and now in the body. Constantly aware of his whole body in every position, his breathing. Observe your body and breathing as if from a distance.
5. Relaxation: strictly speaking, it is not part of Surya Namaskar. However, this is a necessary additional practice, which must be followed at the end of each cycle. Any relaxation technique is suitable for this, but the best method is shavasana (dead posture).
You can do Surya Namaskar as quickly or as slowly as you wish: the choice is yours. At first, it should be done slowly to ensure the proper development of movement and breathing. The chosen pace will subsequently depend on the depth and duration of your breathing.
You can perform this exercise at other times during the day, however, it is important to wait at least three hours after eating before starting classes. Late morning before lunch, or mid-day before dinner, are quite suitable. It is not recommended to do Surya Namaskar before bedtime, because it activates the whole body, and this is exactly the opposite of what is required before you go to bed
With regard to the practice of Surya Namaskar, there are absolutely no restrictions related to age or gender – this exercise can be done by young and old, men and women with great benefit for themselves. True, it should not be done to expectant mothers after the fourth month of pregnancy, however, after the birth of the baby, they can continue to pursue classes. In addition, as a precaution, we advise women to interrupt their activities during menstruation.
Surya Namaskar should not be given to people with certain diseases, for example, sciatica, intervertebral disc displacement, hypertension, coronary insufficiency, etc. If in doubt, consult a specialist.
You should not overexert, doing more exercise cycles than your physical condition allows. In addition, do not try to do Surya Namaskar during an illness, because at this time all the energy of the body should be concentrated inside to heal and eliminate the ailment.